& HISTORIC SITES
This listing is made
possible by the participating businesses.
The area code for all numbers listed is 860.
g = group tours welcome
h = handicap access
r = restrooms
Historical Society Museum
25 Canterbury Road (RT169) - 06234 (860)774-7728
There is a permanent exhibit about The General Putnam Monument, and
the 2001 Special Exhibit is "Civil War Diaries" The story of
the 1st South Carolina Volunteers, the first regiment of freed slaves
to fight for the Union. Hours: Open from Memorial Day to Labor day every
Wednesday and Sunday from 1 to 5 PM; free, g, h.
Putnam Tyler Law Office
Rte. 169 - 06234 (860)774-7728
A small country lawyer's office where the great-grandson of Revolutionary
War hero Israel Putnam practiced commercial law from 1822 until his death in 1875.
Maintained by Brooklyn Historical Society. Hours: Memorial Day - Labor
Day: Wed. & Sun. 1 - 5 PM; free, g.
England Center for Contemporary Art
Rte. 169 - 06234 (860)774-8899
Changing exhibits featuring contemporary art from around the world, displayed
in a four-story barn and sculpture garden.
Hours: May - Nov.: Wed.-Sun. 1 - 5 PM; free, g,
191 Church St. - 06234 (860)774-3059
Built in 1784, the house has been in the Putnam family for over 200 years.
Now maintained by the descendants of Col. Daniel Putnam, son of Revolutionary
War Gen. Israel Putnam. Hours: End-May - mid-Oct.: Wed. & Sun. 1 -
4 PM, and by appointment; free, g, h.
Rtes. 14 & 169 - 06331 (860)546-9916
First academy for black women (1833-1834) in New England run by the remarkable
Prudence Crandall, Connecticut's state female hero. Period rooms, changing
exhibits, research library, and gift shop. Annual Prudence Crandall Day
on Labor Day Saturday. National Historic Landmark. Maintained by Connecticut
Historical Commission. Hours: Feb. - mid-Dec.: Wed.-Sun. 10 AM - 4:30
PM; $2 adults, $1 seniors/children, children under 5 free, school groups
free, tour group rates, g, h, r.
1 Chaplin St./Box 256 - 06235 (860)455-9209
18th and 19th century family memorabilia and local articles are preserved
in this one-room museum, offering annual themed exhibits.
Hours: July - Sept.: Sun. 1 - 4 PM; free, g.
Merrow Rd. - 06238 (860)742-1419
Built between 1823-25, the Brick School served as a one-room district
school until 1953. Restored in 1976 with furnishings from the mid-19th
century. Maintained by Coventry Historical Society.
Hours: Mid-May - mid-Oct.: Sun. 1 - 4 PM; free,
2299 South St. - 06238 (860)742-6917 or (860)443-7949
The 1776 farmhouse highlights the family life and times of Connecticut's
state hero, remembered for his famous last words: "I only regret
that I have but one life to lose for my country." Maintained by Antiquarian
& Landmarks Society.
Hours: Mid-May - mid-Oct.: Daily 1 - 4 PM; $4 adults, $1 children, group
Joys Antique Doll & Toy Museum
41 North River Rd. - 06238 (860)742-6359
High quality, tastefully displayed, antique dolls and toys with names
such as Steiff, Jumeau, Shuco, Bru French Fashion, Kathe Kruse in the
exhibit. A few are animated. Hours: Thu.-Sun. 11 AM - 4:30 PM.
2382 South St. - 06238 (860)742-1419
This farmhouse of Nathan Hale's maternal ancestors, built circa 1730,
was expanded in 1758 by the Porter family. It now includes local artifacts
and memorabilia, a carpenter1s shop, carriage sheds, and a barn with exhibits.
Maintained by Coventry Historical Society.
Hours: Mid-May - mid-Oct.: Sat. & Sun. 1 - 5 PM; $1 adults, children
free, g, r.
William Beaumont House
169 West Town St. - 06249 (860)642-7247
Birthplace of Dr. William Beaumont, 1785-1853, the "Father of gastric
physiology," this 1760 cottage has a small but fascinating medical
museum. Maintained by Lebanon Historical Society.
Hours: Mid-May - Oct. 1: Sat. 1 - 5 PM; g.
169 West Town St. - 06249 (860)642-7558
Home of the only Colonial governor (1769-1784) to support the War for
Independence, the 1735 house, is furnished in period decor. National Historic
Landmark. Maintained by the Daughters of the American Revolution. Nearby
is the Wadsworth Stable where George Washington's horse slept. Hours:
Mid-May - mid-Oct.: Tue.-Sat. 1 - 5 PM; $2 adults, children under 12 free,
Trumbull, Jr. House Museum
780 Rte. 87 - 06249 (860)642-6100
Jonathan Trumball, Jr., another Revolutionary War patriot, served as Governor
from 1797 to 1809. His Georgian-style home features period reproductions
and intricately-carved corner fireplaces. Maintained by Town of Lebanon.
Hours: Mid-May - mid-Oct.: Sat. 1 - 5 PM; tour groups by appointment,
Historical Society Museum & Visitors Center
856 Trumbull Hwy./Rte. 87 - 06249 (860)642-6579
This new museum and visitors center includes exhibits on local background,
a historical and genealogical research center, and services for visitors
to the historic sites around Lebanon Green. Maintained by Lebanon Historical
Society. Hours: Please call.
West Town St. - 06249
The two-room store and office of Gov. Jonathan Trumbull became the headquarters
of the Council of Safety, where members plotted strategy and coordinated
supplies during the Revolutionary War. Maintained by Sons of the American
Hours: End-May - Sept.: Sat. & Sun. 1:30 - 4:30 PM; free.
Institute and Museum of Puppetry
Willimantic Cottage, Weaver Rd.,
UConn Depot Campus (off Rte. 44) - 06269 (860)486-4605
Changing exhibits from the collection of over 2000 puppets recognize puppetry
as an art form and give visitors a unique source of education and entertainment.
Hours: Mid-Apr. - mid-Nov: Fri.-Sun. noon - 5 PM; $2 suggested donation,
g, h, r.
State Museum of Natural History at UConn
Wilbur Cross Bldg. - 06269 (860)486-4460
Greenhouse tours, Family days, lectures, workshops. Exhibits under construction
and are not open to the public this year.
Hours: By appointment or Event, g, h, r.
Stone Mill Rd. - 06268
1830 stone grist mill along Fenton River, has its original grinding equipment
and bolter. The nearby miller1s house was once the home of Governor Wilbur
Cross, and is now a small museum. Maintained by Joshua's Tract Conservation
& Historic Trust.Hours: End-May - mid-Oct.: Sun. noon - 4 PM; Sat.
1 - 5 PM in August only; free, g, h, r.
Historical Society Museum
954 Storrs Rd./Rte. 195 - 06268 (860)429-6575
The museum features changing exhibits of furnishings, costumes, photographs
and memorabilia relating to Mansfield history and an extensive local research
library. Housed in former town office building and adjacent 1843 Town
Hours: June - Sept.: Thu. & Sun. 1:30 - 4:30 PM; $1 suggested donation,
Benton Museum of Art
UConn, 245 Glenbrook Rd., U-140, University of Connecticut, 06269-2140;
The State's art museum at the University of Connecticut is renowned for
its exciting program of changing exhibitions. Call ahead for exhibition
information. Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10 AM - 4:30 PM; Sat. & Sun. 1 - 4:30
PM; free, g, h, r.
Grist Mill & Marcy Blacksmith Museum
Rte. 44 - 06259
This fine example of a one-man mill operation of the 1890's has original
milling equipment. The tool exhibit represents the craft of three generations
of blacksmiths. Maintained by Pomfret Historical Society. Hours: End-May
- Sept.: Sat. & Sun. 2 - 5 PM; free, g.
36 Huntington Rd./Rte. 14 - 06264 (860)456-8381
Birthplace of Samuel Huntington, signer of the Declaration of Independence,
the c.1723 farmhouse is a National Historic Landmark and has many original
features intact. Open during renovation. Maintained by Gov. Samuel Huntington
Hours: May - Oct.: 1st & 3rd Sat. of each month, 11 AM - 4 PM; also
open for 6 special events - call for schedule; donations welcome.
Waldo Rd. (off Rte. 97) - 06264 (860)456-0708
Built in 1714, the saltbox-style dwelling was owned by the Waldo family
from 1715 to 1975. It now displays a collection of early American antiques,
books, and farming implements. Maintained by Scotland Historical Society.
Hours: By appointment; free, g.
STORRS see MANSFIELD
Tourtellotte Memorial Room
785 Riverside Dr./Rte. 12 - 06255 (860)923-9303
Located in the attractive Tourtellotte Memorial High School, the Memorial
Room displays the excellent collection of antiques and furnishings of
a prominent family from the late 19th century.
Hours: 1st Sun. of each month: 2 - 4 PM; free, g,
Eastern Railroad Museum
55 Bridge St. (next to New England Central Railroad mainline) - 06226
Restorations of railroad rolling stock and buildings, moves the museum
toward its major goal of an operating railroad village depicting the importance
of railroads to Eastern Connecticut.
Hours: Sat. 9 AM - 2 PM.
Jillson House Museum
627 Main St. - 06226 (860)456-2316
A mill owner's home built in 1825 from stone quarried on the banks of
the Willimantic River features furnishings, historical artifacts, and
local memorabilia. Special exhibits throughout the year. Maintained by
Windham Historical Society. Hours: By appointment; donations welcome,
g, h, r.
Willimantic Camp Meeting Association
31 Haven Ave. (off Rte. 32) - 06226 (860)423-9448
One of the original Methodist Church cottages, "Putnam Cottage"
on Church Circle, now displays memorabilia of the camp's early years in
the 1860's. Hours: July - Aug.: Sun. 4 - 5 PM, or by appointment.
Textile and History Museum
157 Union & Main St. (Willimantic) - 06226 (860)456-2178
Situated within a former mill complex, the museum is a lively place of
learning and enjoyment, dedicated to preserving the history of the textile
industry and the cultures of the workers. Research library, museum shop,
mill floor. Hours: Fri.-Sun. 1 - 5 PM, and by appointment; $4 adults,
$2 seniors and children, group rates, g, h, r.
556 Rte. 169 - 06281 (860)928-4074
With its striking salmon exterior and Gothic Revival architecture, this
summer home was the setting for parties with numerous Presidents. The
1846 house with original furnishings, bowling alley, and boxwood parterre
garden hosts children1s events, teas, and concerts. Gift shop. National
Historic Landmark. Maintained by Society for the Preservation of New England
Hours: June - Oct. 15: Wed.-Sun. 11 AM - 5 PM (open July 4 and Columbus
Day). Tours on the hour, last tour at 4 PM. $4 adults, $3.50 seniors,
$2 children, group rates, reservations for tea, g,